National ID Guide
Last updated: October 25, 2022
- The National ID is the official card for citizens of a country issued by the government.
- The Philippine National ID is also known as the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) ID.
- It is the identification card for all Filipinos and resident aliens.
- PhilSys ID is one of the most acceptable government-issued IDs in the Philippines.
- And of course, Digido also accepts PhilSys ID for the loan application.
When making any transactions to banks or other institutions, a valid ID is one of the important requirements. It is not a problem if you have a bunch of valid IDs stuffed in your wallet. But what if you are one of those Filipinos who struggle to get a government-issued ID?
Some Filipinos still don’t have primary IDs that are applicable for many necessary transactions. Typically, Filipinos who are average or low-income earners can only possess secondary IDs such as NBI Clearance or a Birth Certificate. These secondary IDs are handy and easier to claim than primary IDs. However, some institutions do not accept these secondary IDs and still require one or two government-issued IDs.
This is a common problem for many Filipinos struggling to get primary IDs. But this issue has now ended because the Philippine National ID System (1) Bill has finally become a law.
→ Learn more about emergency cash loans for unemployed
About Philippine National ID System
President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act or the R.A. 11055 on August 6, 2018 (2). Accordingly, this law intends to simplify the process of providing valid identification when transacting with the government and private sector. Currently, most institutions only accept government-issued identifications, and some of them even require two valid IDs.
Additionally, this law also aims to combat corruption and bureaucratic red tape, as well as to avoid fraudulent transactions. With PhilSys, doing business in the Philippines will also be easier.
In the past decades, experts have been skeptical about the data security of the national ID system law. They questioned its ability to protect the people’s right to privacy. But due to the pandemic, this law has proven its importance. It would have been easier and faster to distribute government aid to those who need it most. Hence, in October 2020, the registration for PhilSys has finally opened.
What is a National ID?
The National ID is the official card for citizens of a country issued by the government. The Philippine National ID is also known as the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) ID. It is the identification card for all Filipinos and resident aliens. It has no expiration date, and it serves as the lifetime government-issued ID of every citizen of the Philippines.
What is the PhilSys Act?
The PhilSys Act or the R.A. 11055 is the law behind the central identification platform of the Philippine government. This law aims to:
- simplify public and private transactions;
- promote the ease of doing business;
- improve the transparency and efficiency of public and social services;
- enhance administrative governance;
- curtail corruption and red tape;
- avoid fraud.
The law mandates the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) to implement PhilSys (3), as well as to formulate its policies and guidelines.
PhilSys has 3 components: PhilSys Number (PSN), PhilSys Registry, and Philippine National ID (Phil ID).
PhilSys Number (PSN)
The PhilSys Number (or PSN) is the permanent identification number that is unique and randomly-generated. Each person, whether a Filipino or a resident alien, will have it upon his or her birth or registration. All government agencies and those government-controlled corporations recognize and incorporate the PSN. One person can only have one PSN. Additionally, it cannot pre-assign to any person and no one can choose their PSN.Apply now
The PhilSys Registry is the database used to store the PSN and all the records of registration. It also stores the history and other related information of all registered persons.
→ Useful information about fast and easy online payday loans
Philippine National ID
The Philippine National ID (Phil ID) is the single, non-transferable card issued by the government to all eligible persons. The eligible persons are the Filipinos and resident aliens registered in PhilSys as per guidelines of PSA. Filipino citizens with dual citizenship are also eligible.
The Philippine National ID will bear these pieces of information of the cardholder:
– PhilSys Number;
– Full Name;
– Blood Type;
– Date of Birth;
– Place of Birth;
– Full Fingerprint;
– Iris Scan;
– Citizenship (if Filipino or resident alien).
Optional disclosed information:
– Marital status;
– Mobile number;
– E-mail address;
Meanwhile, newborns will be automatically registered with their Philippine National ID, but without their fingerprint and iris scan. After 5 years, they will receive a new ID card with their biometrics information.
PhilSys also assures everyone that they will keep the privacy and security of the information of all registered persons.
PSA is in collaboration with the National Privacy Commission (NPC) and several coordinating councils:
- National Economic Development Authority (NEDA);
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA);
- Department of Budget and Management (DBM);
- Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA);
- Department of Information, Communication, and Technology (DICT);
- Department of Finance (DOF);
- Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD);
- Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG);
- Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP);
- Government Social Insurance System (GSIS);
- Philippine Health Insurance (PhilHealth);
- Social Security Services (SSS);
- Philippine Postal Service (PhilPost).
→ Also learn more about Dragonpay credits
How to get a National ID in the Philippines?
Here are the simple steps on how to get a Philippine National ID:
1. Prepare all your requirements (the list is below).
2. Go to the designated registration center. Note that the application and registration must be done in person. The National ID registration online in the Philippines is not applicable as you need to provide biometrics information as well. Below is the list of centers where you can apply for a National ID:
– PSA regional and provincial offices;
– Local Civil Registry offices or Municipal Hall;
– PhilHealth offices;
– Pag-IBIG offices;
– Philippine postal offices;
– Selected Land Bank branches;
– Selected government agencies assigned by PSA.
3. Provide your biometrics information – full set of fingerprints and iris scan.
After these 3 steps, you will just have to wait for your generated PhilSys Number (PSN) and your Philippine National ID.
National ID Philippines Requirements
The national ID System requirements are the following.
For Filipino citizens:
- Application form;
- PSA-issued birth certificate and one government-issued ID with photo and signature;
- UMID card;
- PSA-issued certificate of marriage (for married women adopting the surname of husband).
For resident alien:
- Application form;
- Alien Certificate of Registration.
- Application form;
- Philippine Embassy;
- Philippine Foreign Service Post;
- Other registration centers designated by DFA that are coordinated by PSA.
Benefits of National ID System
The Philippine National ID will provide a lot of benefits to the cardholder. Since it’s a valid proof of identity, it can replace all other forms of valid IDs. It aims to make all transactions, whether in the government or private sector, easier and more convenient.
It focuses on the promotion of effective and efficient delivery of service to the public. With this, it will also strengthen the social service of financial institutions. Additionally, fraudulent transactions will be eliminated, and corruption will be reduced.
The initial application of Philippine National ID is free for all Filipino citizens. However, foreign residents living in the Philippines for over 6 months should pay a standard fee for the initial application.
Why do I need a Philippine National ID?
Aside from the benefits that you can get, having a Philippine National ID is important especially nowadays during the pandemic. It would be easier for the government to track the citizens who need the financial aid or assistance the most. Plus, it is universally-acknowledged identification. Hence, it will open opportunities for you and for all registered persons to be able to apply for financial products.
Some financial products than you can apply for include:
- Credit cards;
- Life insurance.
If you don’t have a bank account yet, opening one will be easier as well. You no longer need to present two government-issued IDs as proof of your identity.
For sellers or businesses, it would be very useful to have a legitimate background check of their buyers. Fraud, scams, and other unlawful acts will be avoided. Likewise, it works the same with the buyer when checking the seller’s identity.
→ Do you know how to get no bank account loans?
Is PhilSys ID a Valid ID?
Absolutely, yes. PhilSys ID or the Philippine National ID is valid. The government of the Philippines established the PhilSys Act for all Filipinos and resident aliens.
You can use it as a valid document for your various transactions with the government and private sectors such as:
- Availing the benefits and social services provided by the government;
- Applying for a passport or travel visa;
- Providing proof of identity as part of the tax requirements;
- Applying at educational institutions, both public and private;
- Opening of bank accounts and other financial accounts.
PhilSys ID is one of the most acceptable government-issued IDs in the Philippines. Essentially, it has a high degree of protection from fraud and illegal acts. As the system is currently starting, almost all credit companies now accept PhilSys ID. And of course, Digido also accepts PhilSys ID for the loan application.
Digido Loan Requirements
Here are the simple loan requirements of Digido:
- You must be a Filipino citizen.
- You must have a permanent address in the Philippines.
- You must be between 21-70 years old.
- Your phone number must be active.
- You have registered on the Digido website.
- You have a stable income.
- You have a valid government-issued ID.
- You can provide other documents upon request, such as payslip, COE, ITR, or DTI.
With other credit companies or financial institutions, they will ask you for two valid IDs. But with Digido, you just need to present one government-issued ID. You can even apply for a loan up to PHP 25,000. No hassle, no stress.Apply now
- Officialgazette https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/…
- Philippine National ID System https://www.philsys.gov.ph/
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) https://psa.gov.ph/
EdcelDigido is superb to the point of acing clients or customer needs for loan. The free choose of how many days you can pay and the payment extension is beyond compare. Although the interest is quite high but it will really compensate fast-pacing response. The agent were very responding and accomodating! I love Digido, Happy Chinese New Year ❤️5
JohnDigido is the best! I just claimed 4000k on my first loan with zero interest, 7 days term! Claimed through Cebuana, Wow! I am now officially Recommending Digido App.5
SamI loved Digido not just the app but for the whole experienced that I had in applying for a loan. Hassle free and loan disbursement is as quick counting 1-2-3.5
FredericoOne of the best Loan App, reliable, quick cash disbursement and they also give you alternative plan option to settle your debt, so far I'm satisfied with it 😊👍4
RosveEasy to apply and they disburse loan amount instantly. Online staff are very accomodating and respectful thank you.5