An Easy Guide on How to Renew Driver's License 2024 in the Philippines
- Driving without a valid driver’s license is penalized in the Philippines.
- If you wait for two years to extend your driving permit, you’ll have to get a new one.
- You can renew your driver’s license both in-person or online.
- The required documents for LTO renewal include a medical certificate and a confirmation that you’ve completed necessary driving courses.
- If you’re planning on resuming your driving practice, renewing your DL is the first step. The second one is purchasing a car. Consider requesting an online consumer loan from Digido, a state-licensed lender with an easy application process and a 95% approval rate.
Table of Contents
Every country has its own requirements for issuance and renewal of driver’s licenses. In the Philippines, an institution in charge of driving permits is called the Land Transportation Office, or LTO. All future or actual drivers have to interact with LTO on the matters of driver’s license renewal, receipt, driving courses and exams.
Having a valid driver’s license is mandatory in the Philippines, so it is vital for both Philippines citizens and visitors to have it extended on time. If you want to figure out how to renew your LTO license, keep reading and we will guide you through this process.
Who is Eligible For a Ten-Year License?
To get your first driver’s license, you have to take a 15-hour theoretical driving course and an 8-hour practical driving course. Those who pass receive a license for five years. When this period comes to an end, a non-professional or professional driver, who has had no violations of road traffic rules, is legally permitted to renew their driver’s license for ten years (1).
What are the Requirements for Driver’s License Renewal?
When it comes time to renew your driver’s license, being prepared with the right documents and information can make the process smoother and quicker. Knowing the specific requirements for driver’s license renewal is essential to avoid any delays or complications. Here’s a comprehensive list of the requirements you’ll need to fulfill for renewing your driver’s license
📌 General LTO Renewal Requirements
If you have an active driver’s license (DL) that is about to expire, or your previous DL expired not more than 2 years ago, you have the right to renew your driver’s license. If your license expired over 2 years ago, you’ll need to apply for a new DL.
In compliance with Republic Act No. 10930, all drivers who want to renew their licenses must take the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) program and pass the online validation exam. The exam consists of 25 questions, you’ll need to get at least 13 of them to pass (2).
If you plan to renew your DL, you mustn’t have any unsettled traffic violations. Drivers who commit traffic violations are assigned a penalty score called “demerit points”. The more demerit points you’ve got, the more courses and exams you will have to take to improve your driving skills and knowledge of traffic rules.
|5 up to 9 demerit points
|You’ll need to pass the Driver’s Re-orientation Course (DRC)
|10 up to 39 demerit points
|You should pass the DRC and the Theoretical Examination
|A driver license expired more than 2 years ago
|You’ll have to get certificates that confirm you’ve passed the DRC, the Theoretical Examination and the Practical Driving Test (3)
Learn How to Get
Police Clearance Online: Step by Step Procedure in the Philippines
📌 Required Documents for LTO Renewal
You will have collect the following package of documents for the DL renewal procedure:
- A valid or expired driver license
- A filled-in LTO application form for renewal
- A medical certificate issued by an LTO-accredited healthcare provider ― you must submit a photocopy and present the original as a proof
- A CDE Certificate with at least a 50% score
- Applicable DRC and exam certificates if your DL expired over two years ago or you have demerit points
What are types of driver licenses in the Philippines?There are three types of DLs in the Philippines:
- Student permit. It is a preliminary driving permit valid for 1 year. To be able to drive a car, an SP holder must be accompanied by a licensed driver at all times.
- Non-Professional License. It gives the right to drive a car without any mandatory supervisor.
- Professional License. These DLs are granted to drivers who earn their living by driving public or private vehicles.
For how long is a driver’s license valid in the Philippines?Non-professional and professional driver licenses are valid for 5 years for new applicants and drivers with a traffic violation record, and for 10 years for drivers with a 5-year driving experience without traffic violations.
How long does it take to renew a driver’s license?You can renew your driver license in an LTO center during one working day. However, you will need time to gather all required documents prior to that.
Can I renew my DL only as a hard copy?Since July 2023, LTO is launching electronic driver’s licenses (eDL) in addition to the License Cards (7).
How do I access my eDL?The eDLs are available in your personal account on the LTMS portal. They contain a QR code and a barcode that can be scanned by traffic police or public officers.
When do I renew my driver's license?It’s advisable to renew your DL in advance. You have up to 60 days before your license expires to start taking steps to renew your driver's license. In this case, you will pay only the basic LTO license renewal fee.
Can I renew my driver's license early if I am going out of the country?You can also renew your DL 61 days to 1 year in advance, however, you’ll have to prove that you’ll be out of the Philippines at least 60 days before renewal.
If my DL expired 2 years and a day ago, will I still have to pay the application fee?The application fee is chargeable when a DL expires 24 months prior to the application month.
Where to renew a driver's license?You can either opt for online renewal of your driver’s license or visit an LTO center.
Can I visit an LTO center during weekends?Some LTO offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Check the nearest to you on the LTO portal.
Driver’s License Renewal Procedure
You can renew your permit either in an LTO office, or online via the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) portal.
📌 Offline Renewal of a Driver’s License
If you prefer to apply in-person, here’s what you’ll need to do:
To renew a driver’s license, start by filling out the Application for Driver’s License form. After completing the form, submit it along with all required documents. Next, proceed to pay the necessary fees at the designated desk.
Once the fees are paid, you’ll need to take a written examination. If you pass the written exam, you can move on to the practical driving test. However, if you fail, you’ll need to request your exam results, work on improving your knowledge, and plan to retake the test later.
If you’re successful in the practical driving test, the next step is to have your picture taken and provide your biometric data. Then, wait to receive your Official Receipt and the new License Card. If you do not pass the driving test, you will need to plan to retake it at a later time to renew your license.
Finally, once you have your new license, confirm receipt by signing in the log sheet.
📌 Online Renewal of a Driver’s License
To save time, consider the online DL renewal:
- Register or log in on the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) portal (4).
- Go to the LTMS dashboard and choose Licensing. Keep in mind that if you’ve just registered, you’ll need to settle your profile first: fill in your name, birthdate, driver’s license number, expiry date, etc. Once it’s done, go back to the dashboard.
- Choose Driver’s License in the License Classification of the Online Application form, attach a scanned copy of your medical certificate and press Verify.
- Select Renewal among the application types and click Next.
- Schedule an appointment with a convenient LTO office. Your driver’s license will be processed by the LTMS portal, but you will still have to visit the LTO office to receive the License Card.
- Transfer the applicable fee.
- Pick up your DL Card at the LTO office and on the date you’ve selected.
Learn How to
Renew Your Business Permits in the Philippines 2024
Drivers License Renewal for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs)
If you are a Philippines citizen working abroad, you can renew your driving license in two stages.
The first stage includes actions carried out through a representative. This person prepares the following documents:
- Original Letter of Authority that entitles them to act on your behalf
- A photocopy of your passport pages containing: your photo, visa, details on the departure from the Philippines and the latest arrival to another country
- A photocopy of your driver’s license and that of the Official Receipt.
Once the representative submits the documents, LTO issues the Official Receipt, but not the License Card. You will get the DL Card upon arrival to the Philippines. When you return to the country, the second stage begins. You should:
- Take a drug test
- Get a medical certificate by LTO-accredited healthcare provider
- Complete the CDE program and take the test
- Complete the corresponding courses based on demerit points
- Fill in the application form
Once it’s done, visit an LTO office within 30 days after you arrive in the country (6). There you will have your photo taken and will submit the application form, your certificates and test results, along with the following documents:
- The original and a photocopy of your passport’s first and arrival pages
- The original and a photocopy of the Tax Identification Number Card
- The Official Receipt you used as a temporary DL
Finally, go to the Releasing Counter and receive your License Card in exchange for the Official Receipt.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew a Driver’s License?
The driver’s license renewal fee doesn’t depend on the type of permit you have, but on the time that has passed since your driver license expired. Thus, the longer you wait to renew the license, the more you will pay. Let’s take a look at the current fees:
General fee – Р 585.00
Extra charges for late renewal (they are added to the general fee)
|1 day — 1 year before renewal
|1 year — 2 years before renewal
|More than 2 years before renewal
If you want to change your DL type from non-professional to professional or get an Additional Restriction (DL) Code to be able to drive specific kinds of vehicles, for example, trucks, you will be charged an additional PHP 100.00.
Penalties for Late Renewal of a Driver’s License
Using an invalid driver license is a violation of law and is penalized in the Philippines.
|Driving without a valid DL, with an expired, revoked, suspended or fake DL
|Submitting fake documents when applying for or renewing a DL
|For non-residents: driving with a valid foreign DL after the 90-day allowed period
Tips for LTO License Renewal
Some LTO centers don’t process applications right away: they get applicants registered in the logbook and set a date for submitting the required documents. Visit your neighboring LTO office to find out their operating routine. To accelerate processing of your request, sign in the LTO website and schedule an online appointment in the Personal Appointment Scheduling System (PASS).
Be wary that the application process includes taking a photo, so dress appropriately: stick to a more official dress code when attending an LTO center.
Renewing your driver’s license with the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in the Philippines can be a smoother process if you follow these tips:
- Check Your License Expiry Date: Be aware of your license’s expiry date to avoid any penalties. It’s advisable to begin the renewal process a month before the expiry date.
- Complete the Medical Exam: Before proceeding to the LTO, complete the required medical exam. This can often be done at clinics located near LTO offices. The exam typically includes a vision test and a general health check.
- Prepare the Necessary Documents: Have all the required documents ready. This usually includes your current driver’s license, a duly accomplished Application for Driver’s License (ADL) form, and your medical certificate. Additionally, bring a valid government-issued ID for verification.
- Attend the Driver’s Seminar and Exam (if required): For some renewals, especially if your license has been expired for a while, you might need to attend a driver’s seminar and pass the written and practical exams. Check with the LTO if this applies to your renewal.
- Plan Your Visit: LTO offices can be crowded. To avoid long queues, plan your visit early in the morning or on less busy days. Some LTO branches might also offer an online appointment system to schedule your visit.
- Stay Updated on New Rules and Regulations: LTO occasionally updates its rules and regulations. Stay informed about any new requirements or changes in the renewal process by checking their official website or verified social media channels.
- 1. LTO Portal - Driver's License Information
- 2. LTO Portal - Driving Enhancement Program (DEP) Information
- 3. LTO Portal - Driver's License Renewal Information
- 4. LTO Official Government Portal
- 5. LTO Portal - Driving Fines and Violations Information
- 6. Philippine Embassy - Renewal of Philippine Driver's License for Filipinos Abroad
- 7. Rappler - LTO's Launch of Electronic Driver's License
RobertoI urgently needed to renew my driver's license and pay the renewal fees for late renewal of drivers license, but I still had a month to wait for my salary. So, I turned to Digido for a short-term loan. I must say, they approved it within 15 minutes, and I didn't even need to make a trip to their office. It's a great service, as long as you repay on time, everything goes smoothly 👍5
MaricarWhen I faced the need to renew my driver's license and cover the associated renewal of driver's license fee, I was running low on funds to continue my delivery business. I was struggling to meet other financial commitments, and I felt desperate. I thought no one would approve my loan application at this point, but Digido approved it instantly! Thank you!5